Saturday, April 25, 2009

Maybard gets his fight

So the amputee guy fought. He couldn't get his gloves secured (something they should have figured out earlier than the night of the fight) and wasn't allowed to strike (which is sad, since it seems like he would have some serious pummelling power).
My only thought is: Fuck the controversy. If the dude can pass his medicals, and a promoter will take him, he should be allowed to fight. If you don't like it, don't watch. I didn't watch. Not because I don't like it, but because I had to go to the store, and didn't feel like shelling out the bucks for what was apparently a horrible broadcast, with one camera sending out grainy footage.
Honestly, the only objection I could even come up with (as a mental exercise) was that maybe since his limbs end in such solid stumps he'd have an advantage in close-quarters striking (something others have said looks plausible from training footage). I didn't hear if they cleared up the "grounded or not" thing.
But clear that up for a fair fight, and what's the problem? The guy's not being forced into anything. I have more of a problem with people paying money to see Tonya Harding fight some idiot.

No comments:

 
eXTReMe Tracker