Saturday, January 31, 2009

WOW GSP

God damn he proved me wrong...GSP beat everything BJ Penn tried to do tonight, beat him to the punch, out-muscled, out-struck, and out-worked him in every aspect of the match. BJ had zero answers, and looked like the smaller man. GSP's odd kinesthesiology discussion in the post-fight interview was interesting, and if that's what he was trying for I give him the props for a perfectly executed gameplan. Overall, GSP proved he's the stud at 170, and lightweights need not apply to fight. I'll go get a fleur-de-lis tattooed on my taint. Should it point at my balls or my asshole? Decisions...
The other fight that made my mouth drop open was Machida-Silva. Silva was absolutely chumped, clowned, destroyed. Pre-fight I thought Silva had no chance. I felt like Machida was going to tear him up. I didn't think it would be that bad...this was a squash match on par with the goofiest PRIDE FC matchup. Silva has a year or so to turn himself into a fighter who can beat the elite. Machida should have a shot NOW, before Rampage, before anyone. The UFC fucked up in not matching up 'Page and Rashad. Now they have to justify NOT putting Machida, who's clearly established himself as the best contender, into the #1 contender spot. Please UFC, if you're giving Page the shot, do it now. Cancel Jackson-Jardine. That is a useless abortion of a fight.
I was disappointed I didn't get to see more undercards. Only two stoppages on ten fights. Manvel the Anvil has some rethinking to do. Karo won, but I don't know why. Kim should have taken that fight. Jon Jones, get on the god damn exercycle. Stephan Bonnar is suddenly irrelevant. A better fight may have been Thiago Silva vs. Jon Jones. Fitch-Gono judges' cards: 30-27, 30-26, 29-28. What the fuck?
What's with the resurgence of booing at UFC events? Who the fuck boos Thiago Alves? Who else is going to fight GSP? Jesus? I think Jesus is a 185er.
Oh, real video replays of the main event on ESPN. I wish they'd show some of that stuff on "Top Plays". Machida deserves a bit.
Decent card. I wish I'd seen some more undercard action.

2 comments:

Reverend Clint said...

I agree with you on every account except I didn't like this card except for Machida beating the shit out of Silva. And I guess GSP laying on Bj like he did to Serra was interesting in that we got to see Bj vs Hughes 3 minus the douche bag.

garth2 said...

the problem i had with the main event was BJ looking like a clown.

 
eXTReMe Tracker